Where to turn for help

By  | 

The following mental health and addiction services are available in Dauphin County:

Drug and Alcohol Services

  • Dauphin County residents can seek drug and alcohol services in several ways.  One way is to call 717-635-2254 or visit 1100 South Cameron Street, Harrisburg.  Residents may also contact one of the licensed drug and alcohol outpatient providers, which are listed at  Both options will put you in touch with a drug and alcohol intake specialist who will start by asking you several screening questions.  If needed, a referral for services will be made.  They will also be able determine your eligibility for any funding assistance that may be needed. 
  • For detox services after hours, individuals should walk into Gaudenzia Common Ground at 2835 North Front Street, Harrisburg, or call 717-238-5553.

Mental Health/Intellectual Disabilities

Dauphin County’s mental health system is designed to help persons access mental health treatment and supports when there are limited financial or insurance resources to pay for the cost of services. There are three primary ways to get help:

  • Contact Dauphin County Crisis Intervention Services at 717-232-7511 or toll free at 1-888-596-4447, or walk in at 100 Chestnut Street, Harrisburg. Persons experiencing any type of crisis or traumatic event which causes them emotional or behavioral distress, a change in their daily routine, or inability to care for themselves due to a possible mental illness or emotional disturbance may call any time or any day 24 hours, 7 days a week, to speak with a crisis worker, walk-in, or request a mobile outreach service. Many contacts are made by family and neighbors concerned that a person may need assistance. There is no fee for crisis services. Crisis can also provide information and referrals to many human service programs in Dauphin County.
  • CMU, a private-non-profit agency, determines eligibility and mental health service needs.  At the CMU, an intake appointment gets you registered and enrolled in the system. The staff offers an assessment of your needs, financial eligibility, and planning of services to meet your needs. CMU offers walk-in intakes Mondays through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at 1100 South Cameron Street in Harrisburg. To learn more about the intake process and what is needed to bring to the intake at the CMU, call 717-232-8761. If you reside in northern Dauphin County, contact the CMU office in the Northern Dauphin area to schedule an intake appointment. Visit to learn more about the intake process at the CMU or call the Northern Dauphin Human Services at 717-905-2700.

Depending upon your needs and concerns you will be referred to contracted mental health treatment and support agencies for services. A mental health case manager will assist you in navigating the system. The CMU offers two types of mental health services: case management and certified peer specialist services.

Help is available to anyone who is struggling with loss, stress, depression and substance abuse over the holidays. 

 By Dauphin County Commissioners Jeff Haste, Mike Pries and George P. Hartwick, III

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *